In February 2015, Walmart announced that it is increasing wages to just over $10 an hour for all employees. This wage is now substantially higher than the federal minimum wage but still below the $15 an hour rate recommended by many labor activist groups. Review the following information on the recent wage changes:
- In Letter to Associates, Walmart CEO Doug McMillon Announces Higher Pay. The captioned version of this resource can be found here.
- What You Should Know About Walmartâ€™s Raise
- Walmart Lifts Its Wage Floor to $9 an Hour
In the paper, respond to EACH and all parts of the following questions below:
- Do you think Walmart raised wages because of supply and demand in the labor market or because of the pressure of labor activist organizations? Explain your reasoning.
- Do you think Walmart should raise wages to $15/hour to match what labor activists are calling for? Why or why not?
- Should the government raise the minimum wage and if so, to what level? Please support your answer.
The following critical elements must be addressed in the paper:
Main Elements. You have addressed all of the questions in the assignment.
Inquiry and Analysis. You show an in-depth understanding of the concepts covered in the assignment.
Critical Thinking. You have articulated a clear conclusion based on strong rationale.
Research. You have incorporated at least two outside references into the assignment.
Paper must be submitted as a 2â€“3-page Microsoft Word document with double spacing, an abstract, 12-point Times New Roman font, one- inch margins, and at least three sources cited in APA format.