1. Harvey’s origin was primarily associated with an atmospheric tropical disturbance that left the west coast of Africa on 12 August 2017. According to Figure 1, the tropical cyclone that evolved into Hurricane Harvey first exhibited hurricane force winds in the ________.
a. Caribbean Sea
b. Gulf of Mexico
c. southern North Atlantic Ocean
2. The wind swaths pattern of Harvey shows that the preponderance of tropical storm and hurricane force winds was over ________. This infers the primary source of the energy fuelling the storm system during its tropical storm and hurricane existence.
c. equally over land and ocean
3. Lines of longitude and latitude are drawn in Figure 1 at 5-degree intervals. At 28 ºN, one degree of longitude extends over an east/west distance of about 98 km COS 13 – 3 (61 miles). According to Figure 1, the width of Harvey’s hurricane force wind swath at 28 ºN was approximately ________ km.
4. According to Figure 2, temperatures in the region near where the first hurricane force winds were reported were probably near ________ ºC.
b. 28 COS 13 – 4
5. The Tropical Cyclone Report, Hurricane Harvey, produced by the National Hurricane Center, reports that Harvey experienced its highest sustained winds while making landfall in Texas. Figure 2 indicates that during its approach to Texas it had been traveling over ocean surfaces that ________ among the warmest reported on the map.
b. were not
6. The pattern of western Gulf of Mexico sea surface temperatures in the 30 August 2017 image to the right indicated that the area of warm water that supplied latent heat to Harvey through evaporation and the likely volume of water involved in the time change mixed upward by winds likely provided ________amounts of heat for the storm’s development.
7. The highest reported or inferred storm surge height was located near Houston, TX, to the northwest of Galveston Bay, near the area encompassed by lavender shading. That level was ________ feet.
8. Comparing the images in Figure 2 with Figure 3, the storm surge, the abnormal local rise of sea level, was highest to the ________ of the advancing eye at landfall, as would be expected.
9. The position of Harvey as shown in Figure 3 and the direction of the storm’s movement gave evidence that the ________ coastlines would be subjected to the storm’s highest storm surges. COS 13 – 6
a. northeast Texas Gulf and Louisiana
b. southwestern Texas Gulf and Mexico
10. Figure 4 shows that the maximum radar-estimated precipitation totals due to Harvey for the week following landfall was ________ inches.
a. 30 – 35
b. 45 – 50
c. 55 – 60
d. 65 – 70
11. Climate change features noted above suggest that extreme weather events such as hurricanes and winter storms could produce ________.
a. higher water levels from storm surge
b. greater precipitation flooding
c. increased wind damage
d. All of the above
- Attachment 1
- Attachment 2
- Attachment 3
- Attachment 4